Yesterday was a long day. Ever since Rosie was born she has had this raspy sort of breathing issue, it comes and goes. It can be really common among babies. They call it something official but we called it a "flappy airway." It firms up as they get older, just like their ears. Well, hers never firmed up. A pediatric pulmunologist said that they needed to take a scope down into her trachea to see what it was. So yesterday we drove to a hospital 3 hours away, she couldnt eat or drink for 5 hours prior :( that was a little hard plus she gets carsick which added a tricky element. Upon arrival, she knew something was up and was clingy and crying which didnt help the mama as I was on the verge of tears myself!! She needed to be drugged and sedated with an IV :( They had me give her some medicine that made her sleepy and that alone made her freak out cause I had to force her to take it. She fell asleep in my arms and then adam and i were asked to leave so they could do the IV and all that. I think the nurses were a little anxious because just the oral medicine alone was hard! They later said that she didnt even wake up from the IV, amazing! We were able to come back in 1/2 hour and watched in the room as the doctor took the scope through her nose, down her trachea, through her vocal cords and into her bronchial tubes. Because she was sleeping so well they decided not to give her the sedative (which really was nice for the recovery part). But she could feel it and started to cry during the procedure right towards the end and I had to sit down because it was too hard for me. It was hard to see her little body on that big white stretcher with tubes going here and there :( The good news is, is that she doesnt need surgery! I think that the doctor was even surprised! Answered prayer! Basically, she still has that floppy airway that he believes will firm up eventually but that the muscles (in a specific spot) in her trachea, near her vocal chords are pulling her throat close together for an unknown reason. He said that it could be corrected by speech therapy later down the road but that there are no concerns now. WOOHOO! We really were anticipating surgery that we would have to travel to Salt Lake or Seattle for, praise the Lord!
Even after it was over while we were in the recovery room, waiting for her to wake up, I was still tearful. She is still so little! What a gift our Rosie is to us! I know that God was with us and gave us peace and assurance, kept us safe on the road to and from, and sustained us throughout it all. We are very grateful.
(When she woke up from it all, I have never met SUCH a cranky kid! She was kicking at the nurse and everything! "she usually isnt like this" I said. I guess the medicine has that affect PLUS they were pulling her oxygen off, the sticky monitors off her chest, the blood oxygen was taped to her finger, and then the IV was pulled out. I would be cranky if I woke up and that was happening to me! My sweet girl is now back today)
6 comments:
Rose is so blessed to have excellent parents and good medical care, to say nothing of her own inner strength! Hurray for not needing surgical intervention. I'm proud of all three of you! Mom/Granny
And plus the poor little chickie hadn't gotten to eat or drink in so long. Wow. I would be cranky too.
I'm SOOOOO happy that surgery is not in the plans now!!!! Wahooooo!!!!!! =)
Amy... This post made me so happy! I am so thankful Roise is ok! It's very inspiring to see how you and Adam love and care for Rosie. I love you!
Amy... This post made me so happy! I am so thankful Roise is ok! It's very inspiring to see how you and Adam love and care for Rosie. I love you!
There is nothing worse than seeing your baby go through all that knowing you really can't do anything. I'm so glad she doesn't have to have surgery! I don't know who that would be harder on - Rosie or Adam & Amy.
Ames,
That is so hard. We have had to deal with some of those icky hospital trips and Hudson has been put under twice. It is really hard to watch as a parent. I am glad things are OK with Rosie...YEAH!
Jamie C.
Post a Comment