Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Home Again

We're home! It's so great to come home. Familiarity, furniture (a bed!) and friends. I was thinking about this blog and how to summarize my summer and am finding it a little hard because this summer was pretty hard for me. God did a lot of personal refining in me. It seems I listen more in lonely places. Refining is always good but seems painful at the time. My favorite missionary (Isobel Kuhn)wrote this in By Searching: "Nothing strengthens us so much as isolation and transplantation...under the wholesome demand his soul will put forth all her native vigor...it may not be necessarily for us to withdraw from home and friends; but we shall have to withdraw our hearts deepest dependence from all earthly props and supports, if ever we are to learn what it is to trust simply and absolutely on the eternal God."
So you see, ultimately is all good. It was GOD that I was able to say, even in my dark times, "I am glad you have me in Alaska, God" Because I never want to stay the same and the things that need refining or to be pulled out... I DO want that to happen. Grace seems to be the answer and I am about to start "The Grace Awakening" (thanks gina) to learn more about what active grace looks like in my life.

So this summer was interesting :) In the next blog I'll post pictures of some things we got to see. My mother in law came for a week and then my dad came for a different week so that was SO fun. They took us places we might not have seen w/out them!

2 comments:

Justin and Jessie said...

Great pictures! Can't wait to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

so glad you're home and i loved seeing the pics. how did you do that neat slide show? and i'm totally getting that Kuhn book. wow.