Hi! My 2nd opportunity to jump online and man, I am jumping on it! The 3 moms are getting the day off today which is a beautiful thing. We had breakfast at the Snow City Cafe and listened to eachother's "life maps" which are basically our life stories. It's amazing to see God's hand in each of our lives and how He has taken hard things and turned them into GOOD! Praise God, for God :)
Yesterday we got to walk around this lake that is on campus and it feels as if you are in the wilderness, just blocks from campus! It smelled awesome, like the air on a backpacking trip. We also got to hike "Flat Top." Since we started late, we couldnt hike the whole thing, plus it gets really steep. Too dangerous with a Rosie attached to our backs. But we got high up enough so that I could get my bearings and see exactly where I was living. BEAUTIFUL! The view of the ocean and the coastline and the mountains... wow.
Rosie and I spend a lot of time in our apartment so I really appreciate these little outings. God has done much to help me w/ my selfishness so that I am ok with the solitude. The first weeks were hard and there were some tears on my end but our purpose here isnt about ME and what I get to do. It is for these 16 college men and their 5 staff learders helping them to become godly leaders for life and for their ministry on campus. It's about the bigger picture, even bigger then Alaska. Easier said than done.
The other wives and I do the shopping for project meals and that is fun to be able to do something tangible. The guys are always grateful for food (who would have thought?) My mother in law arrives on Friday (and will stay for a week) which will be so fun to have a buddy. We will be learning the bus system to go check things out... My mother in law is adventurous to the core and I imagine us going and doing quite a bit. She'll also jump in and help us with the meals. She's great!
Please pray that the lessons God has for me here will not go un-learned. Funny how He takes you to remote places to show you things. When I am so busy I can ignore the "uglier" side of myself but when it's you and an 18 month old who can't carry on a conversation, you end up talking to God a lot more. Hopefully I'm listening.
Miss you guys!
3 comments:
keep updating Amy, we are reading your blog. It's funny how when we aren't physically near you guys we forget that we have phones. We need to call you guys soon.
Justin and Jessie
hey amy...I miss you! I drowned my cell phone and I need your number! Give me a call. Love you,
jamie
Amy-Wow, it's sounds like you are learning a lot! So true about being busy-we ignore the nasty things about ourselves. Sometimes I think that is why I make myself so busy...so I don't have to look in the internal mirror. Hope your time with Lyla (sp?) is wonderful! xoxo
Post a Comment