Every summer we head out for about 10 weeks to lead a summer missions project with college students either in the States or internationally. This year? ALASKA! This is an all men's project, something we have never been a part of before. They asked Adam to lead it this summer and he has been working so hard all semester in preparation. He left this morning and Rosie and I will follow next Saturday. What will I do? Well, it's interesting for us wives but I believe it will be a good sort interesting. The sermon at church this morning really helped my perspective on it. To summarize, he shared the goal is to serve Jesus in the everyday, practical, mundane things of life. This summer won't be like past summers for me. There wont be student women to disciple, outreaches for me to organize, bible studies to put together. I probably will be shopping for food every week, watching Rosie, and supporting Adam. Certainly not what's typical for me in the summer. Isnt it interesting how we gravitate for the high profile jobs and pass off the piddly stuff to someone else?
Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. Colossians 3:23-24
I am so glad that verse is in the Bible. It really gives me purpose to the things that now shape my everyday. Cleaning, changing diapers, shopping and cooking dinner. None of those things do I love, let alone LIKE! But if I am doing for my God, who died for the likes of me, than I can do it. And I can do it with a positive attitude. This summer will be good for me, just be praying!
5 comments:
I just posted. :) Thanks for your encouragment.
Oh, enjoy Alaska...it's so beautiful. Will you blogg while you are there?
It sounds like you have a great summer ahead of you - just different! But I guess this means your blog will be a little neglected.... ? =( Well, worse things have happened, but I'll miss your updates! =)
Are you going to be in Anchorage? Or the outskirts? If you are looking for something "silly" to do, head to Talkeetna for the Moose Dropping Festival. That was one of the funniest things of the summer when I was there.
I kid you not, they have a contest with moose poop. You buy a number....which corespondes to a moose poop. Then, via a small plane, they drop the poop from the sky. The person whose poop drops closest to the target wins. And a parade...and fun run.
I have more ideas for you...but I am taking up space on your blog, I'll e-mail you. :)
love you!
thank you for these words amy, i'm needing it today...
I know how you feel Amy. Most days I feel like being "just a mom" isn't good enough. Thanks for the reminder that God sees and rewards what we do no matter how mundane.
-m. kindred
Post a Comment